- Schedule your day to maximize your peak energy hours.
- Set and adhere to a regular wake-up time.
- Get exposure to sunlight within 15 minutes of awakening.
- When energy flags during the day, go outside or find a window and stand or sit in sunlight for 15 minutes.
- Schedule creative activities and activities that require attention to detail for the hour before lunch.
- Schedule meetings for 11 a.m. when most people are alert and reasoning skills are good. Scheduling them just before lunch also means that you are more likely to end on time. Avoid meeting right after lunch.
- Eating protein helps raise alertness while carbohydrates contribute to relaxation. Plan lunch and dinner based on what you need to do afterward. If you have an important meeting or presentation, order chicken or fish and avoid pasta. Avoid heavy, calorie-laden meals if you need to keep your energy up. The heavier the meal, the sleepier you will feel afterward.
- Do not skip meals. Hunger can adversely affect performance and create feelings of stress and anxiety.
- Schedule routine and/or repetitive activities for the hour right after lunch since your energy will be lowest at this time. Avoid activities that require accuracy or attention to detail.