- What do you want to be known for and remembered as being?
- Who is your audience?
- What is the gain they want?
- What is the pain they want to avoid?
- How can you help them gain what they want and avoid the pain?
- What do you have that is different from everyone else?
- What can they get from you no one else can give them?
- What do you want them to do after reading the newsletter?
- Do you want to instruct? Persuade? Inform? All three?
- Do you want to organize the newsletter around a theme? An activity? A function?
- How can you make it fun? Intriguing? Provocative? Memorable? Viral?
The more time you spend answering these questions, the more successful your newsletter will be, the easier it will be to design and write , and the more readers will want to read it!
Also see my blog post Does Your Business Need a Newsletter?
Patricia Haddock creates marketing materials and information products to help entrepreneurs and small businesses grow their contact list, showcase their expertise and increase their income. Make Money Selling What You Know is her DIY guide to help you create information products that mean business.